Friday, December 28, 2012

Pints for Prostate!

Our first batch of beer! Its a Pints for Prostate PSA IPA from True Brew. $3 from each kit sold is donated to Prostate research and awareness! It features Palisade, Summit and Ahtanum hops and thats where it draws the name PSA. Only rookie/noob mistakes we made were:
1)  I let the temperature get out of control while steeping the specialty grains
2)  We squeezed the grains, so there might be some tannins in the wort.





So we also tasted afterwords - it was amazing! I've brewed roughly 5 batches of beer before and it always tastes horrible before bottling. So the fact that this tasted good is weird. I can't imagine what it will taste like in couple of weeks in bottles!


Brewed on the 8th of December, sat in bottles for 20 days and bottled on the 28th. One weird thing, after I moved it to counter, it started bubbling through the air lock. Normally I would think it isn't done fermenting, but it sat in the bucket for 20 days. Oh well, we'll see if we have some exploding beer bottles soon or not.  Also, I used the priming sugar from the package dissolved in 2 cups of water. I've always just used a half teaspoon per 12 ounces poured into the beer bottle. I did add Irish Moss to the beer the last 15 minutes of the boil, which isn't in the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment